Monday, May 24, 2010

Three Things I Learned At The Free Dead Weather Show

I have always said I will see just about anyone live for free. I use that in reference to all of the major label artists whose concerts are obnoxiously priced and laden with Ticketmaster's abusive charges, where more than 90% of the seating is nowhere near the stage, where the sound quality is comparable to playing in a barn and, to be frank, their music is not any good anyways. Nevertheless, if someone fronted me a ticket to see a glossed up, overproduced pop/R&B/country artist, my "give it a chance" side would kick in and, for the sake of curiosity, I would go and do my darnest to enjoy the experience.

Now this has nothing to do with The Dead Weather concert I saw for free Saturday night. This latest incarnation of Jack White of White Stripes fame has only been present for less than two years. However, with his star power pricing himself outside of most intimate venues, I have no interest in sitting in arena seating with no connection to what is happening on stage, even if I enjoy the music. However, when this opportunity to see a major label band for free in a hollowed out warehouse, with a hosted bar no less, presented itself, I took it.

At the time, I had not given any of Jack White's new supergoup a listen. Featuring members from Queens of the Stone Age, The Kills and Jack White's earlier band The Ranconteurs, this band was built for the bluesy, scuzzed retro rock that can only be played at maximum volume. Outside of enjoying the show, I did learn a couple of things about The Dead Weather, and the dinosaur that is the corporation, on Saturday night.
  1. Jack White can play the drums better than Meg White. For those that know, The White Stripes were an exercise in limitation. The duo went out of its way for most of its career to only feature guitar and drums. Within that constraint, they managed to pump out great rock music at its most primal. One of the oft discussed aspects of The White Stripes was Meg White's limited drumming acumen. The most accurate quote I ever read about this was: "Meg plays all of the ability and enthusiasm of a ten year old." Knowing not much about the band coming in, I was surprised to see Jack White behind the drum kit. After a couple of songs into the set, it made me wonder why he is not playing guitar. Boredom? A new challenge? A veiled cheap shot at his former wife?
  2. Alison Mosshart has the drug addled front woman act down to a science. Showmanship is key in a live performance. Although this is Jack White's band, it was Mosshart's stage. She pranced, strutted and twitched like her next hit could very well be her last and she could give a shit. Many female rockers wished they had game like this. She makes Juliette Lewis look like the poor man's Juliette Lewis. Honestly, her pipes and stage presence gives PJ Harvey a run for her money. 
  3. No matter how good the band is, how cool the venue is or how many free drinks I can partake, the sponsored corporate rock experience still rings hollow. As someone more eloquent than me once said, nothing comes without a price. The whole experience was meant to give the illusion of something special. The whole event was stilted by Kin, a new mobile device fronted by Microsoft in a too late to the party attempt to make the IPhone's seat on the mountaintop a bit more wobbly. However, whether this new gadget was effective was taking a backseat to the ineffective marketing onslaught taking place. In some vain attempt to not be noticeably corporate, the show's details were released via Facebook while people ran to lineup outside of the empty warehouse for a trucking company in the West Loop. While being corralled for an extended period of time, professional photographers pursued the crowd looking for the right kind of cool for their marketing gimmicks. After the earliest folks waited for over three hours, the steady stream past the hired security, the inexpensive interns and the corporate d-bags began to get through the garage doors. Inside could have had that touch of exclusivity, but instead was plastered by video screens displaying an endless scroll of scruffy hipster models preening and simpering while displaying the most hackneyed catch phrases. Maybe I am too jaded, but anyone who says "Let's Do This" and "It's All About Me And You" without any irony is a moron. To use the phrase as a product slogan was probably thought up by a moron who thinks that you are big enough moron to fall for it. When leaving the venue, the inevitable bag of swag was given with buttons and posters emblazoned with the same heavy handed imagery. Also included was a coupon for the product to be used at the nearest Verizon store. I found it odd that nowhere at this event could I see or try this product (which was the only reason anyone was there in the first place). Were the powers that be showing some sort of misguided restraint? Lastly in my swag pack was a t-shirt that can be best described as some graphic designer's idea of a practical joke. Obviously the shirt is all about using your chest as a billboard, but in a somewhat apparent way, included in the graphic is a somewhat stylized photo of a penis. Don't take my word for it; see for yourself. Let's do this, indeed.
 
Since this blog is supposed to be about music and not about my grumpy old man grumbling, I will be tracking down and giving The Dead Weather a shot after hearing some great musicians and performers play an inspired set. I definitely cannot fault the band for the corporate money grab. In many ways, selling their wares for commercialization is the best (and simplest) way for the 21st century recording artist to pay the bills. Nevertheless, the best way for a corporation to make money (and hopefully this will never change) is to make a good product that people want. After enjoying the fruits of a new product's "buzz", my opinion on the product has not changed. I have no idea what the thing does or if I would ever want it.

The Dead Weather - Treat Me Like Your Mother

1 comment:

  1. "She makes Juliette Lewis look like the poor man's Juliette Lewis."

    I laughed out loud when I read this.

    ReplyDelete