Monday, December 6, 2010

Best Of 2010: Honorable Mentions - Part 1

As is customary with the end of the year, bloggers get to wind down and phone it in by making lists entitled something like "Top ** of ****" or "Best Songs/Albums/Videos/etc. Of The Year". I am, of course, no different. Of course, we obsess and shift the positions of our list like it means something more to anyone else besides the list maker. However, we do not write about music for the money (if you make any) or the posterity (although getting compliments is always sweet), but for the undying gratitude we have for these artists who slog away at their craft for the same, intrinsically motivated reasons. You know that old saying/slap in the face that goes: "Those who can't do, teach"? It is always been my opinion that the real version of that saying should be "Those who can't do, critique" without being nearly as dismissive. Maybe a lot of critics tried to become musicians/filmmakers/chefs but couldn't make it happen in the end, so this is the best way to keep connected to their former labors of love. As for me, I am not blessed with the ability to play an instrument and could not carry a tune if I tried. Yet I have been a fan of music since I was a kid and, finally, I feel like I can give back to the artists and share with the world my...err..."well-aged" opinions.

Since this is my first year blogging, this is my first year end of the year list. Honestly, I liked a lot of stuff for different reasons. These are a grouping of my honorable mentions for the best of 2010 that I felt deserved some sort of a tip of the hat. The honorable mentions will be given in alphabetical order. My Top 25 of 2010 will be out next week. Enjoy!



Part 2 :: Part 3 :: Part 4 :: Top 25

The Arcade Fire - The Suburbs

Purchase The Suburbs here.

A lot of people will have this album in their Top 10, but not me. This love/hate ode to a simpler life feels forced and heavy handed and many of the tracks make the album bloated and even more self-conscious than the band's other efforts. However, there are a few great tracks on The Suburbs and their earnest nature always gets me in the end. Also, this is Example 1 of "Artists in 2010 Who Will Never Match Their Best Effort, Despite Trying". Sadly, there are a lot of these.



The Arcade Fire - We Used To Wait



Brian Eno - Small Craft on a Milk Sea

Purchase Small Craft on a Milk Sea here.

A truly surprising return to form from this Godfather of Electronica, Chillwave, Indie, Glam and whatever else you got. Although coming off as theme music for muscle relaxers at times, this has enough variations on a theme to keep you listening and intrigued. The best moments are the breaks from the atmospheric expressions where Eno puts a left turn in to keep you on your toes. As all good albums, Small Craft is meant to be listened to front to back.


Brian Eno - 2 Forms Of Anger



Caribou - Swim

Purchase Swim here.


This album was in the early running for being in my Top 25, but just didn't make the cut. Dan Snaith's dark little trip is much different than his earlier efforts and that is why it is probably my favorite Caribou/Manitoba album. You can almost dance to a couple of these tracks. However, this album is best listened to on headphones while traversing the city making your way to the next late night adventure.




Caribou - Jamelia



Delorean - Subiza

Purchase Subiza here.

This Spanish group's first album is a perfect reminder of the summertime and it's carefree nature. As I am listening now, I am remembering their standout performance at this year's Pitchfork festival. Definitely under the influence of the joyful beats of Madchester and house genres, Subiza never tries to do too much or stretch to far from it's good time aesthetic. That is definitely a good thing.



Delorean - Grow

No comments:

Post a Comment