Monday, March 29, 2010

Free Summertime Indie Concerts On Mondays In Millennium Park

The Pritzker Pavillion in Millennium Park is truly a beautiful space with unparalleled sound for an outdoor arena. Now, don't get me started on how much the entire park cost the future of Chicago or that it was ultimately a prestige project leveraged by our Mayor-for-life King Daley in a unprecedented half-assed bid for the 2016 Summer Olympics. Now that I got that off my chest...

Since I, my children and their children's children are paying for it, I may as well enjoy it. In the past, the Pritzker Pavillion has featured critic darlings such as The Dirty Projectors and The Decemberists. After looking at this year's list, I think the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs may have set a new benchmark in cool and launched what may become a Chicago summertime tradition.

They are calling it New Music Monday. Covering sounds from punk, pop, alt-country, gospel, electronica, neo-tropical, space-rock, Afrobeat and hip-hop, this is a unparalleled collection of quality and variety this side of your $150 summer festival set. I think my Monday nights from late May to July are pretty much set.

Check out the Millennium Park website for details
.

May 24 6:30pm The Besnard Lakes with The Ponys

May 31 6:30pm Hum with Volcano!

June 7 6:30pm She & Him with The Hollows

June 14 6:30pm Tony Allen with Great Lake Swimmers

June 21 7:30pm The Books with Via Tania

June 28 7:30pm Huntsville with On Fillmore featuring Nels Cline

July 5 6:30pm The Thermals with Disappears

July 12 6:30pm Caribou with The Budos Band

July 19 6:30pm Kid Sister with Konono N°1

July 26 6:30pm Naomi Shelton and the Gospel Queens with Bomba Estéreo

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the tip. I think I might see you there one Monday.

    ReplyDelete